Saturday, 4 October 2014

Strength and Determination

As you're aware... I've joined up and taken the plunge into the world of Crossfit.

The box where I'm currently doing my intro cert competed in a comp today. One of the bigger comps in Auckland - Two 2 Tango.

It's a paired competition (male and female pairs) with 6 workouts over 2 days.

I was able to pop out this afternoon to check out what I'm in for.... and man do these guys look impressive. Unfortunately I only got to see one workout (WOD).... the last for the day.

There were 3 scales... beginner, scaled and RX. All were amazing. But the RX guys... a step above! Those guys and gals are machines.

The workout I watched involved kettle bell snatches and swings with double unders (do you remember your skipping days?). I think it was probably a lot tougher than it looked...

It was also a good op to try photographing something different. The indoor low lighting made things difficult. I had to up the ISO to 1600 to keep the shutter speed up high enough to freeze the movement (the moves are quite explosive) whilst keeping the f-stop down as much as possible to blur the background. Most of these are shot at a shutter speed of 1/80th on my 55-250mm lens.

My aim was to try and capture the emotion of the event and workouts... here is a selection of shots.





 








I think I'm a long way from this level..... :)