Friday, 11 October 2013

Dust Warfare: Axis Battle Grenadiers

Shock horror… I’ve actually finished painting up my first Dust Warfare unit!
Axis Battle Grenadiers
I’m normally quite a slow painter, but I have actually finished these quite quickly. It does leave me feeling like I may have rushed things a little… :) Overall, I’m happy with how they have turned out. The models are nice, but don’t have a lot of detail, so they were relatively simple to paint.

Initially I thought about painting them in winter uniforms, but decided against it since it wouldn’t suit our normal terrain. Also figured it would be good to paint them a little differently. As Dust is set in 1947, I decided a basic uniform of German field grey with Splinter camo jackets would be the way to go (since I’m also a more historical gamer… ). Paint scheme is based on 1944 (late war) German Fallschirmjager (one of my favourite German forces).

I decided to do the armour as painted metal, but do wonder about that. They may have been better with the armour being cloth covered? I may try that on the second set of grenadiers as it will also help distinguish them. I also thought about doing them camo’ed (dark yellow with brown/green stripes), but figured that would just look odd.

Anyway…. here they are. Let me know what you think.

 Axis Battle Grenadiers Axis Battle Grenadiers
Axis Battle Grenadiers
 
 Unit Leader Unit Leader
Unit Leader
 
  Battle Grenadier with Panzerfaust Battle Grenadier with Panzerfaust
 
Battle Grenadier Battle Grenadier
 

Battle Grenadier Battle Grenadier
 
 Battle Grenadier with Panzershreck Battle Grenadier with Panzershreck
 
Battle Grenadier with Panzershreck Battle Grenadier with Panzershreck 

Was interesting playing around with photographing them this evening. Played around with using the EOS Utility software to set my camera up and take the photos. This meant I could set my camera up on a nice stable surface and take the pics remotely. Couldn’t quite get the lighting right (the group photos above except the first one) to get it to really work to my liking.

Ended up taking all of the remaining photos by hand as normal using flash. I think they have turned out better. The front view of the individual models are unadjusted by Photoshop, but used auto levels to adjust the photo for the rear view of the models. I can’t decide which one I like better. The adjusted ones do look a little sharper. Colour looks good in both though.