Sunday 27 April 2014

Tough Mudder: The Review

Today has been a relatively quiet day for a bit of recovery.... the swelling around my thumb as reduced.... but I'm still buzzing and on an absolute high! Looking at all the posts on facebook... I think the rest of the team are as well!

What a day yesterday. Tough Mudder. We nailed it :)

A team of 11 of us from my local gym worked together to complete the course. The first time Tough Mudder has been here to Auckland.

There were a lot of nerves and not a lot of sleep the night before as our start time approached. Then we were at the start line and there was no going back now.

We pledged and then we were off! Into the mud and the obstacles. The first few k's were tough as we warmed up and got into our stride, but after the first few k's we just started to chew them up.

Suddenly there were only a few k's to go, but the legs were pretty heavy. It took a fair bit of effort to keep them going!

Rob was only to happy to come along to take some unflattering photos of me and the rest of the team. He's already posted some on his blog. Thanks for heading out Rob! The rest of the team are looking forward to seeing the pics.

So, without further ado.... here's a few of me getting wet and muddy, but grinning the whole way....



 





And then it was over and a cold beer was just what we needed! Along with a few more afterwards :)

Most fun: Mud Mile - who doesn't like playing in mud!? This was great fun and so much laughter.

Best obstacle: Walk the Plank - stoked I nailed this one without any fear.

Most shocking: Both electrical ones obviously! Man they packed a wallop!

Toughest obstacle: Glory Blades - damn awkward to get over.

Best team effort: Berlin Walls - we worked well together to nail this one.

Biggest surprise: Everest - got it first go without much difficulty.

Least favourite: Ladder to Hell - not sure on this one, wasn't hard, but with all the mud, it was very slippery.

Most shrinkage: Arctic Enema :)

If you've ever contemplated doing Tough Mudder.... don't think about it. Just do it!

4 comments:

  1. What a cool event, Great Photos from Rob telling the story, I even see Andy Cook whom I work with in your team which is a big surprise, Well done on a tough event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It's a small world. I train quite often with Andy. So you work at Fonterra Takanini? I used to work there until a few years ago. Ask Andy about what he remembers about the electric shocks tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Yes Have been at Fonterra Takanini since 1990 24 years, I am employed by Halls Transport and coordinate the out of town freight, I oversee 4 dispatchers and 25 drivers.
    I knew I had seen you before but could not remember where until Andy said you were in UHT, so yes small would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you mentioned working at Takanini, then your name rang a few bells :) But, yeap I was UHT Production Manager reporting to Brian How. Was there until mid-2010. Now Production Manager at Frucor. We'll definitely have to try and catch-up at the next show.

      Delete